Wednesday 16 January 2013

Foliage follow-up! Going Mediterranean "ish"

That's right, for the January foliage follow-up I'm going Mediterranean "ish."  I can't even express how happy I feel that we are at the January foliar frenzy.  That sounds absolutely absurd coming from me, but I feel as though we have passed a milestone. That is, we are half way and a bit through January! It's as though I've drugged my way half way through the ickiest, nastiest month of all and the end is in sight! And January has been icky indeed. Not so much in terms of rain - surprisingly, but like most years, January kicked us into full winter mode. On the weekend the garden went down to 21.7F. Not a critical cold for most of my plants, but close enough to keep me on edge. But enough of that talk. Lets go Mediterranean "ish" for this foliage follow-up.

 The sun is shining, the palms are happy and subsequently so am I.

Chamaerops humilis always glistens in the evening sunshine. (notice the christmas lights? thats what I refer to as my palm insurance plan!)

Rosemary seemed to shrug off the recent cold quite gracefully. This plant has been kicking around for years and is the most fragrant and amazing of rosemary I have ever had. I LOVE it!

And I couldn't help but share the happy icy blues of yucca rostrata "sapphire skies" hence making this post merely mediterranean "ish." Though, I imagine these are quite common all over the Mediterranean and certainly fit within the theme.

But my pride and joy right now must be my Leccino olive tree. I was worried when it got cold. I thought of my young olive tree, first year in the ground, hard freezes every night for a few days... you get the picture.  I actually didn't go outside to look at it because of the nerves. Is it really hardy?! Happily I can say this plant does just fine with temperatures down into the low 20's even as a young tree. YAY!

So all in all, I am rather ecstatic this January foliar frenzy. And even more so that the days are getting longer, temperatures should start climbing eventually and before long we will be spending endless hours getting dirty in the garden! hooray! If  you're like me and love foliar happiness, head on over to Pam's amazing blog digging for the foliage follow-up.

14 comments:

  1. Louis just reading this post has me in a better mood, spring is coming and summer will eventually be here too. In the mean time we have the plants to remind us of those days AND our invincible summer within.

    (you know what I wish I could do right now? go lay in a tanning bed for about 20 minutes...but that's bad and I promised I wouldn't do it ever again...damn)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm soo happy! We are on the home stretch! And you're right, no one can crush the summer within us!

      Soo funny about the tanning bed because I thought the same thing today! I was given a gift card because of how bitterly I hate winter and complain all the time. You know it's bad when people randomly gift you tanning money to help you through winter.

      Delete
  2. That is one tough and beautiful garden you have there! Our plants are tougher than we are I always say. Mother nature never ceases to amaze. I did the tanning bed thing at least once every two weeks when I lived in the Wack. I know it is bad......but so is feeling poopy :( I say go for it :) your yucca rostrata looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree about our plants. I find anything under 25C to be chilly. I think y'all have convinced me to go for some vitamin D happiness!!!

      Delete
  3. Hooray for the days getting longer and for palms and yucca rostratas and hardy olive trees. So much hope. Looking forward to getting dirty in the garden again myself! As for tanning - you should go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW!!!! HOORAY! we are almost to planting season again! I am soo excited! I was just looking at the Cistus 2013 mail order catalogue... it has me dreaming. Check out the metrosideros umbellata they are offering, possibly hardy to 15F. That is certainly tempting to try - though I somehow doubt it to be worthy of a true deep freeze.

      Delete
  4. I am so impressed with the hardiness of your olive tree. When we moved here to Washington, and I discovered so many new-to-me plants that were hardy here, I briefly thought of pushing things with an olive tree. But I never took the plunge. I lost a fig tree, which is supposed to be reliably hardy here, so I kind of doubt I could keep an olive alive. Love the Mediterranean feel of this post! Yes, only another month and a bit, and I think we will be out there digging in the mud again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. 21.7F is pretty cold for a newly planted olive so I too am impressed. I have heard really good things about Leccino olives so I am hoping this is a sign that it really is a good variety. That being said we have seen some pretty bad winters in the last 5 years so I know this will not be the true test of hardiness - but if it has some mild years to establish that'd be a bonus! I'm sorry to hear you lost a fig tree. My aunt lost one of hers randomly during an incredibly mild year so I don't know what the deal is. I've heard Peter's Honey Fig is a good one for the PNW.

      and yay for getting muddy! I was out in the garden today removing some burlap from my butia capitata. I put on my garden gloves and soaked in some sunshine! felt great!

      Delete
  5. Very "Medish" with lots of great plants and your enthusiasm is fun too. We also have lights at the ready in case we need to wrap the palms.

    The olive looks so pretty and silvery I might find a place for one after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! the christmas lights are perfect for that. In fact, each year I buy 4 or 5 boxes to create a kind of stockpile. I don't usually need them and really only for a couple of plants, but that way they are on hand in case some really bad weather decides to roll our way.

      And yes, you should get one! I imagine they are quite abundant in San Antonio?

      Delete
  6. Yay for the cold-hardy olive. You see them more and more around Austin as well. Your enthusiasm is contagious -- I'm ready to go out and garden again too instead of holing up inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love the foliage of an olive and the wild form. Thanks so much, Pam!

      Delete
  7. Looks like a garden here near the coast in SoCal, but obviously requires far more horticultural chops to make it work. You guys who push the zones learn so much doing so. Our cold snap into the 30s at night is ending and hope things warm up for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. To look like a SoCal garden is my dream! I try. Happy to hear your cold snap is over. Things have turned around up here too!!

      Delete