Thursday 28 March 2013

It's spring y'all - seasons preface -

That's right, it's spring. I love saying that. But more than saying it, I'm feeling it. I was blessed with the ability to get away for a vacation in Maui this past week, and upon arriving home things were different. In one week it was as though everything woke up from slumber. There's leaves on the trees, blossoms adorning the trees, and lush green lawns. There's a buzz of activity in the air. And while I often complain about rain and cold, I think for the first time in a long time I understood the whole season business. There's a great sense of newness when we cross over from winter to spring. It's as though no matter what season of life we are in, spring signals hope. Spring reminds us of the good things to come. Spring - though a mixed bag - announces that out of the rains comes life. It's sweet. And it was with that sweetness that I simply enjoyed taking time to reflect on this beautiful spring morning. In the midst of this reflective mood, I felt it fitting to share an early spring mixed bag so to speak - a kind of preface I suppose to the months to come.

The movement into spring is perhaps most apparent with the bananas. The march of the bananas as I often refer to it is one of my favourite spring sights. It's one of anticipation and great joy!

There's so much anticipation this year. I can't wait to see how much the scheffster grows.

In fact, I look forward to see how everything grows.

There's a lushness in the air. Perhaps coming back from Hawaii I'm feel thoughts of a lush tropical landscape, but I'm feeling slightly lush this year.

There are early signs of good things to come. Trachys are starting the process of what is always an other worldy bloom. I can't wait!!

Pretty soon all these palms will be alive with blooms!!

Some plants have some growing up to do....

And others are maturing into stately anchors to the garden.


All I know is that I can't wait to watch it all unfold. I can't wait to see all the life, all the growing this little garden will do this year. It might sound lame, but I feel spring is so metaphoric. We sow seeds, we watch things grow, mature ... I feel as though in many way life follows these currents. There's lots of rain, but life abounds. Beautiful things come from it. It's spring! Beautiful things are to come.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! You are quite the ray of sunshine and hope this morning! If this is what a week in Maui does for people, I suggest that everyone go! Spring is an exciting and wonderful time in our gardens! Yours is looking gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone should go to Maui. It's pure magic. Thanks

      Delete
  2. I had to laugh at the outlaw's comment. You are a ray of sunshine this morning! Everything is looking grand...and I agree it's such a *high* to be standing on this side of winter with the explosive growth of spring ahead and the long luxurious days of summer to look forward to.

    On the subject of palms I'm hoping this is the year my (oldest) stubborn Trachy decides to grow a little. I swear he's been stuck in the same place for 2 years now. I want height!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks.

      I hope your palms explode with growth too. You should feed them this year (not that you don't already). I have a specific palm fertilizer but fish fert also works really great too!

      Delete
  3. Your garden is looking as good as your mood. Glad you had such a good time. That's an impressive collection of palms for your location.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Palmy paradise! I would love to see your garden one day Louis - it always amazes me ...every post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks! let me know if you're out this way!!!

      Delete