Wednesday 9 October 2013

predominance of green

While many are talking about the beautiful fall colors, one thing predominates my yard, green. I realized this the other morning while walking through the garden. All the yards around us are showing off the reds, oranges, and yellows of the fall season. To some this predominance of green would be somewhat blasphemous during the autumn, but I love it!

And while the hostas and the bananas will die back - eventually - for now I enjoy how they glow in the autumn sunlight.

Loquats are as happy as can be right now. This one has really taken off since being planted in the ground during springtime.


And while albizia are one of the last trees to leaf out, they also hold onto their splendour longer than most other trees. I love them!!


In the coming months I will be so thankful for all the broadleaved evergreens back here. Wait, I'm already pretty darn thankful!! I love these two palms!


more green...


What do your autumn colors say about you?!

5 comments:

  1. As you might imagine my autumn colors are a lot like yours...GREEN! Also, totally random but I was enjoying a nice lunch with my brother and his family in Phoenix last Sunday. While the conversation held 98% of my attention I must admit I did keep staring at a lush little Loquat across the street from the restaurant. Amazing adaptation in that plant to go from "our" climate to "their" climate and still look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there's another green lover!

      Loquats are amazing! And I feel like they are not used enough.

      Delete
  2. When I lived on the east coast I was often asked if I missed the changing seasons while growing up in Texas. I usually responded that I would never get used to so many plants dying at once. Since green in fall means most of your plants will remain that way through the winter. Enjoy having plenty of winter color while those orange and red leaves go brown and drop off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! thanks so much! I really do love some of the showy perennials that people plant. But in the middle of winter, I'd go mental without a firm foundation of broadleaved evergreens and hardy subtropicals.

      Delete
  3. I'm also thankful for all of the broad leaved evergreens we have but do love seeing all of the screaming colors of autumn leaves. There is also the benefit of deciduous trees allowing more sunlight through in the winter when it's even more welcome in our dark and grey months.

    ReplyDelete