Friday 6 September 2013

The weekly fav.

The weekly fav. this week is a plant that I absolutely LOVE... Agave Ovatifolia 'Frosty Blue!' My agave ovatifolia inspiration came years ago from Pam's blog digging when she posted about her massive agave ovatifolia. You can see it on the link here as she chronicles moving a monster agave. After seeing hers, I knew I "needed" one or two (or three).

Here's an overview of where the largest agave ovatifolia sits in the garden. Here in the PNW this is considered craziness by most ... but by my standards, completely necessary!

I love the powdery blues of this agave. Being next to a large rock it even casts some of those beautiful evening agave shadows that I've always dreamed of.

This was my smaller agave ovatifolia. I say that past tense as the once smaller agave is quickly gaining some size.

Key to success in the PNW is excellent drainage and as much sunshine as you can possible provide them. Mine are all in raised beds, full southern exposure, overhead canopy of branches keeping the area dry, and being planted on a slight angle so that water drains out of the centre.

Here are the details:

Hardiness: Zone 7 (dry) -10
Size: 6-8ft (yikes!)
Exposure: sun

Here's what Cistus nursery has to say:

"A Cistus introduction and new. This mega-century plant, first discovered by Lynn Lowrey in northeastern Mexico some 30 years ago and just named recently by agaveist Greg Starr, might be the largest of the cold hardy agaves, reaching eventually to 6-8 ft with beautifully formed, blue leaves. Our selection, made from a more recent batch, has a distinct, pale aquamarine hue with the classic shape of cupped, upright, and slightly outward bending leaves. The species has taken the cold and wet of Dallas TX, for instance, so upper USDA zone 7 for cold hardiness; possibly colder in gritty or dry soil. Fabo container plant."

12 comments:

  1. Seems Pam's A. ovatifolia has inspired more than one gardener to add it.

    I like the color of Frosty Blue, very pretty. Funny to think 6-8' is on the small side for an agave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I doubt I will ever see that kind of size here, but one can dream!!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous, gorgeus agaves. I planted a Frosty blue outside this year because of your success with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Just make sure the drainage is really good and it should do swell. I do have one that "melted" but has since staged a recovery. So if they are really exposed some overhead something might be beneficial

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen the Frosty Blue cultivar in person. How cool that you're trying it in your garden. I'm glad to know that my Moby has inspired another A. ovatifolia love affair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, its a gem! And yes, Moby is definitely an inspiration!

      Delete
  4. Lookin ' good! I think one is in my future...I am feeling jealous of y'all! heeee! Dad said y'all finally got some rain, eh?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! you sooo should have one!!!

      And yes, the rain has come. It was an epic summer though. super hot, super dry (the way I love it!).

      Delete
  5. Excellent! Yours are looking good! I'm kind of embarrassed to share this but I've now got 5 of these in the ground...yikers! We shall see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! That is nothing to be embarrassed of! That is amazing!!!! I have three... a couple behind you.

      Delete
  6. What a perfect composition! Your agaves look very happy. If I didn't know better, I'd have sworn that picture was taken in SoCal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That is one of the best compliments ever! I dream of a garden that looks like something from SoCal!!

      Delete