Saturday 10 March 2012

soggy days... spring report

Remember how this winter seemed to start out dry? well lets just say that has all changed... seriously changed.  With the exception of the odd glimmer of hope here and there, things have been just plain old soggy.  Quite literally the ground feels like a saturated sponge and anything within a few feet of the soil is covered in mud.  Does this stop me?!? Heck no!  Actually, garden dreams, planting ideas, and nursery visits are well under way.  But I thought I would share a few glimmers of hope and longings for spring.

First off, one of my most dear hellebores. I actually have no idea what variety this one is.  I just fell in love with the green and white.  Such a winning colour combination.  This particular one seems to be later than most but well worth it!

The colours of spring seem to be all around these days.  Images like this remind me that very soon there will be that shift in the air. It's hard for me to describe, but there will be a day sometime around now, when even the cold days are spring. It has nothing to do with calendar, temperature, or anything of the sort. It's a feeling.


The angle of the sun has certainly been saying "spring!"  What little sunshine we see that is.  I think in the last two weeks we saw maybe one day of sunshine.


That doesn't stop the palm trees .... they certainly think its spring.  Fronds seem to be opening up on a continual basis.


This mediterranean fan palm is nearing 6ft tall... I can't wait to see how much growth it will put on this year!  (do you notice the mushy pile of yucca aloifolia purpurea in the green pot to the left of the palm?)


Please just pretend you don't notice the orange extension chord running across the screen... but one of the spring projects has been moving that rock out to behind this yucca "bright star."  Not only will it provide some additional head, but I think it suits the aesthetics of the yucca quite nicely.


Please don't judge ... but remember my comment about dirty plants?!  my poor little unknown agave is perhaps the worst.  But happily, It seems to have faired really well this winter! First year in the ground and the little agave that got my whole obsession started!!!! I was really pulling for this one!!



It's friend agave ovatifolia frosty blue seems to be doing pretty good itself.  It has one really sad spot.  I just feel soo guilty about an arm amputation at this point.  I did just subject it to winter in the pacific northwest after all.


Aloe aristata ... not an agave but prettty equally dear to my heart doesn't seem to mind this weather at all. There is some slight browning to some of the tips on this plant but I can't wait to introduce more of them this spring!


And finally, my second agave ovatifolia frsoty blue... looking great! This one had one amputation earlier in february and so far has shrugged off all this rain.


The happiest news of all... I am Hawaii bound in 6 hours!  It certainly can't come soon enough!!!!!!


4 comments:

  1. Not bad at all! Can you add a thin layer of gravel where the agaves are getting dirtied up, and other desert plants are located? Or might that be out of the characted of your garden...

    Enjoy Hawaii. Cold and dreary visited here for the last few days, too, but the rain and snow got lost in the translation, again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I have been thinking about adding some gravel. I do worry it might change the overall aesthetic somewhat so I have been reluctant. But the dirty agaves drive me crazy! I sure this some sort of compromise.

      I arrived yesterday and thankfully the rain seemed to clear which was soo happy. I was worried I was going to be bad luck on the rain situation! Hope you too enjoyed your time

      Delete
  2. Wow your Agaves look fabulous! Do you have naturally fast draining soil or did amend with tons of grit? Also love the Aloe aristata, I find it listed as a zone 9'er, what's your secret?

    Enjoy Hawaii and take lots of photos to post for those of us who have never been...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know the secret. One thing that I have going for me is huge trees that are like 100 feet plus tall. Even though those agaves are exposed the limbs way up in the air seem to make that area drier than than it would otherwise be. I am very happy about that! as for aloe aristata just a super sheltered location for me with full sun.

      Delete