Wednesday 18 April 2012

"another one?"

"Another one?" That's one of the most common questions I am asked... rather its more of a rhetorical statement.  But that really doesn't seem to bother me.  Any yes, I do in fact have another new palm for the garden.  It all started two weeks ago when I visited Phoenix Perennials and spotted some small trachycarpus wagnerianus in the production area.  As absurd as this sounds, there are no trachycarpus wagnerianus in my garden!  Up here, its actually hard to get your hands on one of these palms outside of palm society members and specialty nurseries.  So I had to remedy the situation when I visited them this last weekend.  Besides which, I had a trailing variety of rosemary that took a beating last winter and I was unimpressed with its performance, so out it went and in went a small trachycarpus wagnerianus. 


If anyone in the Metro Van area is interested these are a great! They are a slower grower than the regular fortunei but can take the weight of snow and winds much better without damaging the fronds. Here are some nice Trachycarpus Wagnerianus growing in the Victoria BC garden of Jeff St. Gelais.




http://waggieseeds.webs.com/ Check out his website for other great pictures! He also sells trachycarpus wagnerianus seeds if anyone is interested in starting their very own wagnerianus grove!

6 comments:

  1. anyone notice the freaky duck? It was a failed attempt at deterring raccoons from the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool you could find that one. We have mostly regular T. fortunei, but for you, either would be happier than here. Interesting about it's greater tolerance for snow and cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I was pretty happy to get one. Trachycarpus seem to really respond well to all the rain we get up this way and the tolerance to snow is a great benefit of t. Wagnerianus.

      Delete
  3. Haha, I just thought the duck was a rock until you pointed it out.

    I bought my first T. wagnerianus last year, it's a cute little thing and I'll be moving it in a week or so because I realize now I put it in a bad spot...hope it doesn't mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it won't mind the move, they are really tough plants. I'm going to have to pilfer through your posts to find it!

      Delete
  4. So proving I really have no concept of time it looks like I've had that little palm for two years!
    dangergarden.blogspot.com/2010/03/if-i-were-a-rich-girl.html

    ReplyDelete