Tuesday 7 August 2012

Lake Okanogan - Mission Hill Vineyard

What a long weekend! Monday was BC Day and so I decided to hit the road on Friday afternoon and celebrate a long weekend in BC's Okanogan.  Lots of people here refer to it as wine country, lake country, or simply by it's largest city Kelowna.  The area is much drier and much hotter than coastal BC and so it has long been the summer playground of Vancouverites.  During my time, I had the privilege of stopping by at Mission Hill Vineyards.  It is in one word exquisite. 

You can walk through some of the vineyards and see the grapes ...

These one's are the Pinot Noir grapes nestled against the sun drenched hillside.

The vineyard offers stunning outlooks of Lake Okanogan and the surrounding communities.


I could handle a nice diner down there! There's something so magical about places like this.  You know where you don't even want to leave.  If you could, you would suspend time for at least one more moment to try and soak it all up.

Mission Hill had a really impressive rose collection surrounding there parking lot.

But it was really the beautiful lavender and manicured boxwood that caught my eye.

Sunshine and lavender just screams warmth to me.


As I said goodbye I snapped one last picture of the roses. I even reached my nose in for a nice smell of this one.  So there you have it, sunshine, vineyards, and smellin' the roses!!! I looove summer!!!

8 comments:

  1. Nice gardens over there on the dry side - it looks toasty! But what's missing? Spikiness - they need some hardy agaves and yuccas in huge pots, and in a few places in the ground. And one place to do the latter is remove most of that lawn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly agree. And yuccas should do great there! I bet agave Parryi would also thrive on those sunny hillsides. It would add the right contrasting texture and bold architectural foundation.

      Delete
  2. Lake Okanogan means just one thing to me...Ogopogo. As a child we spent a few family vacations up there, I was captivated with the idea of a monster in the lake. I've never thought of going back, but your photos certainly have me thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in the ogopogo

      It's such a beautiful spot to get away to. The only problem I find is the traffic heading up there from the valley. But I was able to bring down a case of okanogan peaches and cherries! Mmmm!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a really nice getaway! Sun, warmth, and fresh fruit...Yea summer!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the best!! Can it be summer forever!?!

      Delete
  4. I didn't know you were such an avid blogger! WOW, I'll have to stop by here more often. I think I've been to Mission Hills before. It's a good one! The Okanagan is a breath of Fresh Air! BC is filled with such natural beauty- I swear I have been wowed by it everyday since being home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HEY VIC! yeah!!! I'm glad you have been enjoying your time back home! Vancouver date really soon!?!

      Delete