Monday 16 July 2012

foliage follow-up!

This foliage follow-up is brought to you by the glow of summers evening.  There is no better time of the year, and no better time of the day.  This is what I wait all year for.  I wait for that magical time of day when the world is all aglow.  The suns warmth still lingers in the air, and for that moment in time you breathe it all in.

One of my greatest joys this summer has been watching the way my young Leccino Olive glows.  It has brought me out to a part of the yard that I don't usually visit in the evening - obviously not enough.  I think that is important.  To have things that draw you deeper into the yard that is.  To feel compelled to journey through your space.

As I have journeyed through the last through months I have waited for my mimosa silk tree to fill in.  With the cold June I thought it might never come when I'd see this tree alive and growing.

But with all the warmth we have experienced over the last weeks it appears everything has caught up.

This palm has not just exploded ... it has gone gang busters!!!

I don't really know what this is.  It appears wild, it has beautiful foliage and does not appear to be all that invasive so I have let it do its thing.


The musa basjoo clump is really starting to put on some size.  It never ceases to amaze me just how fast these things can grow come this time of year.

Like I said, I wait all year for this.


And schefflera (Hoi?) seems to be growing nicely.

This little sedum palmeri is a new addition as well and an instant favourite in my books.

And lets not forget fatsia.  I think I feature this guy in almost every single foliage follow-up.  And why not!?  These are seriously under appreciate in my books.



Here's to savouring the sights, the sounds, the warmth and of course beautiful foliage under the summer sun!! Happy July foliage follow-up everybody!  Visit Pam's blog Digging for more of the fantabulous July foliage follow-up!

10 comments:

  1. That is some lush and welcome growth. Tropical Tuscan Cascadia! I agree...it is so important to regularly check out all the known and unknown vantage points to view outdoor spaces and gardens...it really informs exceptional design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Tropical Tuscan Cascadia!!! I was actually google"ing" movies filmed in Tuscany just yesterday in hopes of some Tuscan inspiration!

      Delete
  2. Lovely as always! Do you suppose your wilding is a mountain ash planted by a bird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! You could be on to something there. It very well could be. I really wish I were better at identifying trees other than palms... that I am quite good at.

      Delete
  3. Wow looking good up there across the border!

    I just love reading your July excitement, I didn't think anyone could out summer-love me but I think you have (or at least you're close). Yesterday I woke up to drizzle and grey skies which lasted most of the day, ending our 11-day sunny blue sky 80's streak. I was bitchy all day long. Luckily for everyone around me today the sun and blue skies are back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been beautiful!! But we too had a horrendous day yesterday. I say horrendous but most people seemed to like it. I too was not my usual self. I found it very hard to get out of bed, equally hard to do anything but mope about how I wished it were hot and sunny.

      I'm glad I can exude the summer loving spirit! I just can't even put into words how everything about summertime is just sooo right! Im not sure about Portlanders, but I find up this way people don't celebrate enough. It's like we are all too "cool" to get excited about things. I always feel like the odd man out that way. I can't contain my absolute love for summertime. I say let loose, shake it up, and go crazy!!!

      Delete
  4. I love your enthusiasm too, and I'm so pleased to find another blogger in the PNW. That closeup of the banana leaf is glorious! I love that you've included some medium and far away shots as well as closeups. Late afternoon/evening sunshine does give everything a wonderful warm glow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thanks!!! bananas are a favourite for sure and even better in the evening sunshine!

      Delete
  5. I love your "summer love," as Loree puts it -- so different than how I feel about summer (not printable!). But then our summers are quite different. Viva la difference! Your palms and fatsia would be right at home in Austin, and they look very happy in your garden as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I'm glad you can enjoy my summer love. And I'm sorry yours is so oppressive. I imagine spring and fall are the best seasons for y'all down in Texas (I do actually say y'all, even up past the 49th... It makes me feel closer to the warmth and my nostalgic love of the south). I have only ever had layovers in Texas on my way down to Florida but I would love to visit your great state one day. I hear the San Antonio riverwalk is absolutely stunning!!

      Delete