Wednesday 31 July 2013

The weekly fav!

This weeks weekly favourite is a new to me plant ... agastache 'summer sunset!' How exciting! It dawned on me that I had this old strawberry pot sitting empty in the middle of my favourite section of garden. How could that be!? And while strawberry pots are not always my favourite, I had this thought of wispy agastache 'summer sunset' growing out of the pot and gracing the poky company that dominates the sunny back garden.


I put the agastache in and decided that the agave 'protoamericana' I inherited earlier this summer would make nice company for the season.

But I really love the orange glow against the other plants in the bed. If I decide I really love this combination long term I will just plant the agastache right where the pot sits... or just buy another agastache for this spot.

Here's a better look at the area post agastache planting. The other pot in the right hand corner is not done being planted... It's awaiting some succulent magic.

The details:
USDA Hardiness Zone: 6-10
Size: 14" x 24"
Exposure: Full Sun
Features: Drought tolerant, fragrant, attracts hummingbirds
Bloom Time: June, July, August, September
(http://www.terranovanurseries.com/gardeners/agastachesummersunset-p-314.html)


10 comments:

  1. Had no idea you could grow those so well - I'm happy to find they do well 260 miles S, at least in parts of my new area, too. I think yours' look very compelling in the pots and to soften up the spiky side of life...good eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do great here provided good drainage ... thankfully my garden beds are all raised and quite rocky. I agree it softens things up.

      Delete
  2. I love that color (no surprise!) I think that pretty Agastache would do just fine in the ground, although I like it in the strawberry pot, especially with its spiky little friend for company. I think I need to investigate some of these smaller orange Agastaches: My 'Acapulco Orange' is getting overwhelmingly huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I bought them, Jane. It was your agastache and yucca rostrata combo that first got me thinking of planting one.

      Delete
  3. These are such wonderful plants! Humming birds love the blooms and I adore the fragrance of the plant itself. Yum. Yours looks way cool in that strawberry pot! Love the beginning of this post- Summer Sunset...dawned on me. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see more hummingbirds. That was part of my thinking. I'm glad you liked the play on words.

      Delete
  4. I've yet to embrace the agastache but if I were to do so anything with a name like 'summer sunset' has got to he a pretty damn hot plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I usually stay clear away from flowering plants ... particularly perennials. Most flowers are of the exotic annual varieties. But I just had this vision of warm glowing orange blooms, hummingbirds, contrasts for the pokes, and then the beautiful scent ... I was in love.

      Delete
  5. That is a very good use of a strawberry pot! I started experimenting with agastache myself last year. I love the smell of the foliage and many of the varieties come in yummy colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the warm oranges are what did it for me. I loooove orange flowers.

      Delete