Thursday 1 May 2014

May 1st y'all!

It has been a while. The trees are blooming, the garden is alive and in full swing, and its 91F! We wait all year for this ... and it's finally here. I couldn't be more ecstatic. So with that marks the beginning of a season of garden visits, nursery hopping, plant purchasing, and of course palm mayhem.

speaking of palms, its the also the magical time of the year when the trachycarpus start blooming. The men of the species bloom first, followed by the females.

Camelia are almost done but this one is always late. I know what you're thinking, it IS a lot of pink.


This is my favourite pink flower of them all in the garden ... lewisia NOID.

I wish I could say that with all this sunshine and warmth the hesperaloes are flowering ... but second to that would be the fact that I purchased this flowering hesperaloe parviflora 'yellow' the other day at the nursery. I hope my other ones decide to flower as well. Would they have their blooms starting already?

Opuntia are starting to send out new growth. This one is undoubtably happy about this heat wave.

And to kick off the gardening season I purchased this nice aloe polyphylla. It was a bargain and I had a gift certificate!

There are few plants as cool.

And I love how it glows in the afternoon sunlight!

That's all for now. I'm glad to be back in the garden. But it's time to fire up the BBQ! Enjoy the sunshine!



10 comments:

  1. The aloe is a beauty - and a good investment. Enjoy the warmth and sunshine, Louis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kris. I love aloe polyphylla! I've had one die on me so I'm hoping that this time I do better.

      Delete
  2. So good to see a post from you, Louis! Your garden is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison! It's great to be back in the blogger state of mind :) And I'm loving this sunshine!

      Delete
  3. So there you are Louis! Good to see you back in the garden and blogging again. Maybe the unseasonably warm weather will bring those hesperaloes into bloom shortly. Your palms are looking great and that aloe is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope so too! I love their blooms and especially love how they bring in the hummers.

      Delete
  4. Happy to see that you and your garden both seem to be well! In the last shot it looks like your agaves came through the winter with no problem. Yea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, outlaw. Agaves did really well this winter. There was some spotting on one of my agave ovatifolia and the lowest arms around the soil of all my parryi needed to be removed, but that was it. Once again the agaves live on. This year JC Raulston and agave bracteosa calamar were the best.

      Delete
  5. Yay for the agave report! BTW in my experience it's a little early for the hesperaloe a in your garden to be showing signs of blooming! the greenhouse grown ones (purchased at a nursery recently) are a bit ahead, but just a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, indeed! A positive agave report is always exciting! And I'm kind of glad to hear that its still early for hesperaloes to be showing signs of blooms. That still leaves me with some hope fore more hesperaloe blooms. I may have a hesperaloe addiction.

      Delete