Friday 9 May 2014

Weekly Fav: Butia Capitata

My Favourite plant in the garden this week is Butia Capitata or sometimes referred to as the jelly palm (because jelly is often made from its fruit) or the pindo palm. It just so happens to also coincide with a recent palm acquisition. My good friend Becca recently moved into a downtown apartment and so she gave me her potted pindo palm. This is my second pindo palm. I love how tropical they look in the garden. Being one of the hardiest of the pinnate palms (having feather-like leaves instead of a fan), they are particularly nice for providing a more tropical looking palm for the garden.

I should note that pindo palms are generally not considered longterm hardy in most of the Pacific Northwest. If you live in a sheltered coastal area or USDA zone 8b-9a region, then this palm will do fine without protection. I protect mine when temperatures fall into the mid teens. It has experienced temperatures down to near 18F unprotected with no damage when it was still potted.

I mean really, what's not to love!? I will admit that my largest pindo palm looks a tad bit ratty after this last winter, but it will grow out of it really quick.

Here's what San Marcos Growers has to say:

Butia Capitata
Height: 15-20 feet
Width: 10-15 feet
Exposure: Sun or Shade
Winter Hardiness: 15-20° F

*In my experience the more sun the better for the PNW. These palms really like heat and are slow unless they get a good amount of sunlight. For the PNW we are better to grow butia eriospatha - if you can find them available.

9 comments:

  1. I've been tempted by this palm a few times, but the hardiness issue always puts me off. It is beautiful, though. The ones in your photos look like they're dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you say that it looks like they're dancing, I've always thought the same thing. Especially when the wind blows through.

      The hardiness is unfortunate with them. They are really tough but not quite tough enough without some help in most of our gardens. I've been really tempted to try jubaea chilensis. But they can be weeklings when young too. The ultimate would be a jubaea x butia. You get the increased hardiness of jubaea chilensis and the added vigour of butia. But most of the palm society members have given up on butia capitata as compared to butia eriospatha that seems to grow much quicker and generally likes our cool wet weather more than butia capitata. It's just hard to come across them. Kind of like how brahea clara is a far better performer than brahea armata but rarely available.

      Delete
  2. A very good addition for your garden. They are popular in San Antonio. I like the look of them and I've not seen them damaged even when they get snowed on so they are quite hardy. If I lose the Bismarckias the Pindo would be a good replacement candidate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I think they can take cold so long as the temperatures rebound - which yours would quite quickly. Some are more blue than other too. So if that nice blue is the colour you are going for thats an option. As an aside, brahea clara or brahea armata would also give you that blue colour and look of a bismarkia. They are slow palms but definitely show stoppers. For us on the coast brahea edulis is a better performer but less hardy.

      Delete
  3. Yay for palm gifts from friends, that automatically gives them special protection from winter cold.

    I was surprised to find pallets and pallets of interesting palms when I stopped in at Lowes (do you have them up in Canada? It's a Home Depot equivalent) last week. I just knew there were some good ones in there and wished you were with me to sort them all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love lowes! We don't have them at least where I am, but when I lived in Sarasota we did and they always had a great palm selection !

      I'm trying to convince a friend to come down to Portland for yucca shopping, maybe we can make a palm shop happen.

      Delete
  4. There's certainly nothing like a palm to add a tropical feel. what do you do to protect them when the weather up there turns cold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my pindo palms, I wrap them with burlap. If the temps are looking particularly bad (something dipping into 12F territory I throw some old school christmas lights around the central growing spears for palm insurance! The little bit of heat they provide will protect the crown enough in those temperatures.

      Delete
  5. It is really interesting, I hope everybody lick this Post.

    ReplyDelete