Tuesday 6 May 2014

My wish came true ... Tetrapanax Papyrifer

I have always been envious of the tetrapanax I see in photos. My tropical loving heart has always admired the way they evoke a sense of jungle. But tetrapanax has always been elusive to me. For years I have searched. I go to specialty nurseries hoping to spot one hiding out somewhere. I go to plant sales thinking, maybe this will be the day.

A few weeks ago I was reading the danger garden blog and Loree was sharing about her tetrapanax. I made a joke that maybe one would magically spread all the way from Portland to the Fraser Valley. They do have a reputation of being a garden thug after all. Loree warned me, "Careful, don't tempt it." Well I did. I definitely tempted it. And look what happened!


Okay, it didn't make it's way up here from Portland. I was at the Van Dusen Botanical Garden plant sale and I spotted this guy on the ground beside a table. There were only two of them hiding out. I was so excited!


I planted it between these two hostas. They will get huge in the coming weeks and I'm hoping for even bigger towering tetrapanax leaves! I'm super excited! Let the tetrapanax get growing!!!

6 comments:

  1. I hope your "thug" behaves like a pussycat. It's certainly a nice-looking plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kris. I hope so too. Although a few tetrapanax babies could be fun. It's at least a raised bed with many other thuggish plants to play with.

      Delete
  2. Yay!!! I am so happy for you Louis, that's fabulous. I can't believe it's taken you so long to find one. I just noticed another baby popping up in my garden (the first actually in my garden, not my neighbors). I heard from my friend Jane (who had asked the owner of Rare Plant Research...fabulous nursery) that the best time to transplant any babies is in the fall. So if you ever see babies that you want to move leave them in place until then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know! It has taken an incredibly long time. Thanks for the tip on transplants. I will have to share the tetrapanax love with others around who have trouble finding them.

      Delete
  3. I am really astounded that you've had so much trouble finding one. I assumed with your tropical tendencies that you would have groves of them. WooHoo on finding one at Van Dusen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite strange! I'm so excited to finally stumble across one. One day there might be a grove! that would be fun!

      Delete