Tuesday 3 September 2013

A new dicksonia joins the garden

Sorry I've been M.I.A for a while, I went down to California for a trip to the happiest place on earth! More will come from that, but for now, I thought I would share a wonderful thing that happened days before my departure. There was this dicksonia antarctica that was taunting me quite literally for weeks. Working at a nursery, walking by it everyday, thinking I needed it, imagining where I would plant it ... you know how this goes right? Well I caved and home came the dicksonia. It was rather fitting considering I had just posted about it being my favourite "this week" in the garden. So perhaps my thoughts were thinking fondly of them. That coupled with the wonderful pictures I was seeing from the garden bloggers fling in San Fran and I knew I needed more tree ferns in my life.

The nice thing about this tree fern is that it actually has a decently fat trunk started on it. (should have taken some close ups - next time)

Here's a little better perspective... This area is very protected with an overhead canopy of tree limbs - I will need to remember to water in the summer. But I'm soo happy with the added tropical touch.

Anyone else planting at the end of august?! What's new in the yard for you guys?

9 comments:

  1. Now that we are getting some intermittent rain, I'm going to start planting again. Nothing as exciting as your Dicksonia though, which looks really lovely. Just stuff that I bought earlier this year that I didn't get in the ground before summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of exciting to be planting again!! and better yet, its still summer! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

      Delete
  2. That's a nice addition and it fits just beautifully in that spot.

    No planting yet, still too hot. Waiting for our fall gardening season to kick in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley. Hopefully you will be planting very soon!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the new kid! I've got a lot of plants that need to be planted but don't think that I'll get the lilac thicket removal project done in time to get things in this fall. There are lots of roots and shoots along with some rather ugly inherited mahonia and a couple of holly bushes that have slowly taken over quite a bit of valuable real estate out there. Anyway, I'll keep working on removing that stuff but in the mean time some of the plants slated for that space will just get potted up for now and go in the ground when I get the space totally cleaned up. On the other hand I might just cut things to the ground, cover the whole area with a few truck loads of compost, plant the new plants and cut back emerging foliage of the unwanted plants for a few years to come. I just think WWLD (What would Louis or Loree do?) and know that what I really should to do is get rid of all the roots and prepare the soil very well before planting. But I want an oompa loompa NOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I understand. I have been pondering some pretty major garden projects this coming season (that will remain nameless for the sake of my mental health and well being). But I think the work could be just the thing to distract me from the fact that I'm not able to plant my kind of plants during the colder months. I think you need a WWLD bracelet. And an oompa loompa would certainly come in handy.

      Delete
  4. Yay for your new tree fern, that's very exciting! I'm feeling the urge to start planting and moving things and a little rain over the last week or so says it's not such a crazy idea. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was super stoked and the price was right. Are your dicksonia planted out?

      Delete
    2. One in the ground, one in a container. We shall see...

      Delete