Thursday 12 September 2013

The weekly favourite ... yucca gloriosa variegata

I can't say enough about yucca gloriosa variegata. It is a rock star in the garden. It always looks great, shrugs off cold, snow, rain, wind, and anything you can throw at it. For a while I thought about it as my replacement for variegated phormium, or even agave americana variegata. It certainly fills the void. But then I realized the error of my thinking. Yucca gloriosa variegata is clearly cool enough to be in no way a replacement. It is a star. It is a feature.

I just love the way the sun catches these yuccas! They are absolutely stunning.

And I think its quite forward thinking - even in the PNW - to find plants that can take the full sun without supplemental watering during the summer months. When most plants are sulking in the heat of August (and in this case record breaking September warmth), these yuccas are happy as can be!

This one is shaded in the morning but gets full direct sun all afternoon. I love the coloring.

And I get to wake up, step outside and see this lovely garden rock star!!!

Here's some of the details:
USDA Zone: 6-11
Light needs: Full Sun
Size: 4-5' tall and wide
Bloom: Summer 

8 comments:

  1. Ah what a great plant! Yours are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! remember my conundrum about my purple cordyline holes? Well I'm soo glad I chose these to fill them in.

      Delete
  2. You've reminded me that I really need to try another yucca in my garden. A huge one came with the house and it has left me wary about adding more but one the gets only 4-5' tall I could probably manage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! I think you need a good yucca rostrata saphire skies. And of course my personal favourite, yucca 'bright star!'

      Delete
  3. It's a beauty, all right. I just bought a similar variegated yucca, unlabeled, and I thought it might be this one. But on second thought, maybe not. Mine is more upright, with a central trunk, whereas this one seems more rounded. I'll have to post a picture soon to see if anyone can ID it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These can get a trunk. Here it takes much longer I'm assuming than under the texas death star. But do post a picture. I've got a soft spot for yucca.

      Delete