Thursday 17 May 2012

New Agave!

It was really only a matter of time.  I have vowed to purchase agave bracteosa this summer, but had no plans to purchase anything like this.  I was checking out a new plant centre the other day when something caught my eye.  I found this agave hanging out in the back corner unlabelled and without a price tag.  When I inquired, the owner wanted to sell it and offered me a deal I could never pass up... $18.  So with that I purchased this Agave bovicornuta....


Looks like sharks teeth.  I love it!

This thing just screams attitude! Kind of venus fly trap meets tiger shark

But the story goes on ... I was also told they would bring in a whole line of agaves!!!! this could be dangerous!

4 comments:

  1. Wow!
    What an interesting plant!
    Happy gardening!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! it is kinda crazy looking... in a good way!! Certain plants just have an extra dose of character and this is surely one of them. I was giddy when I left the plant centre.

      Delete
  2. A whole line of Agaves!? Danger indeed!

    I love this one, so much so that a photo of it is on the back of my 'plant lust' business card. Orange teeth on bright green leaves, perfect! For the longest time I had difficulty pronouncing it though (my tongue seems to be easily tied).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got first hand experience with the danger too... I repotted this guy and cut off some ratty arms and thought I could just be careful with my bare hands. Last time I will make that mistake.

      You are soo right about the orange and green. The combination is amazing! And I don't think I'm much too good at pronouncing it either... or spelling it for that matter.

      Delete