Monday 25 June 2012

Agave alert!!!

I love agave alerts!  Agaves are "alertive" by their very nature with the pokes - which will surely let you know of their presence -  their striking architectural beauty, and even better when they have a bright orange SALE sign! Epic! At least I thought so. They even had my agave bracteosa calamar!  That coupled with clear skies, good food and beach visit made for a most splendid sunday afternoon.  I kind of scammed my way into this.  I was going out for lunch with my sister in West Vancouver and it really would be a waste not to just stop in to North Van on the way home since I "had" to go to Maple Leaf Garden Centre anyways.

Check out the glorious colour of these spikes!  With glowing red and orange goodness like that, I had to buy this beautiful little agave parryi truncata.

After seeing this one, I'm pretty much convinced that my unkown agave is some variety of parryi.  It would make sense with how it handled last winter.


And finally!  How long have I been talking about my want of an agave bracteosa? too long.  The wait is over!

This guy has some abuse to him.  I have noticed that right across the board with agave bracteosa that I have seen.  People are just not treating them with the love and care that these little beauties deserve.  It not only made me happy that I finally got one, but also that I was giving this one a hope of better life in the palm garden. #agave respect!


So all in all Sunday was an epically fantastical day.  Now I just have to clean up the mess from Saturday afternoon's storm.  Lets just say the yard looks like it was hit with a hurricane.

6 comments:

  1. Very nice, getting a new Agave always makes me happy.......you need to take a look at the Agave book that Greg Starr wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh I just checked it out online... looks fantastic. I will have to get my hands on this book!

      Delete
  2. Yay for an epically fantastical day, Agave style! And thank you for giving a needy Agave a good home...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the agave rescuer. I should get a sharp studded agave rescue cape! That would sure turn heads eh? But then part of me feels bad planting them in the cold rainy pnw. Maybe a biodome is my only real hope!?

      Delete
  3. Your A. bracteosa will get better fast. They seem to be pretty fast growers, at least for me, and compared to other agaves. Could your mystery agave be Agave parryi var. huachucensis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, quicker than others is very happy! I think you're right about the huachucensis. :)

      Delete