Thursday 14 June 2012

up to no good again ...

Being up to no good is fun... fun when you are at a nursery.  Like most days off, I woke up scheming.  It started with my usual route, straight to Cedar Rim Nursery.  The yucca rostratas were calling out to be adopted by a good owner.  Worried sick about all the humans that would plant this treasure below the soil level or in full shade or something I knew I had to rescue one.  But then I got to walking around the nursery and I found a yucca rigida drowning in a waterlogged pot, wrongfully labeled as a rostrata and crying out for an intervention.  So on the cart it came at a bargain price.


The yucca rigida shows some signs of damage but I'm hoping it will make a nice rebound with summer and some better growing conditions.

This yucca rostrata seems really healthy.  But what is with all the rostratas being planted below the level of soil/mulch in their pots? I really don't get this.  I feel as though it will encourage people to transplant it the same way. hmmmm? I have not come up with a name, any suggestions?

I guess I should consider this phase one part A of my dry bed project.  I realized something very important.  I simply could not enlarge this space before revamping the existing garden space.  That would just feel wrong.  Believe it or not, all that was here was a small bunch of iris and some baby yucca filamentosa weeds.


All this planting had me inspired.  That and seeing danger garden's rhodo removal transformation I grabbed the saw and attacked an ugly rhodo.

The carnage!!!!

And what's better is I had a 32% off coupon for a nursery I just discovered by chance the other day.  And they are open late to boot! A couple hours later and a really bizarre palm tree packing job and this monster palm came home.  It will have to wait a couple of days to get planted but I'm pretty excited.

It's hard to tell, but this palm is around 7-8 feet to the top of the fronds in its nursery pot.

6 comments:

  1. Wow now I'm partly responsible for Rhodo death, the PNW diehards are coming after me for sure!

    LOVE LOVE LOVE your new plants. What is the palm? A Trachy? Beautiful! As for your Yuccas so glad you bought them both, and funny. The 3 I bought for the front garden last year had that same name on the pot and were planted in the same stupid way. Somebody over there needs a lesson in proper potting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont worry it was a particularly ugly one that was nursed along for way too long! I love the yuccas soo very much too! And yes the palm is a trachy. I got such a stinkin deal I was pretty excited.

      As for the other matter, yes we need to teach some yucca potters some manners.

      Delete
  2. What Palm is that, may I ask? You've got good placement and coordination when it comes to gardening and where to plant/put. Do you have anymore day-time shots of the Palm? P.s your Yucca looks great too!! God bless, and happy gardening

    -Tony Salmeron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks! The palm is a Trachycarpus fortunei. I just snapped some shots when I got it home. I'll post some nice daytime shots early next week when it's all planted up! Blessings to you too!

      Delete
  3. You and Danger Garden will have to be separated and not allowed to play together..........I see you both had a thing out for Rhodos this year. Thats okay I'm on the removal crew of a Lilac in my yard. Great purchases!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! If it makes you feel better I planted a rhodo last year! For me that is pretty much outrageous! but it actually makes the other rhodo that is there look much better. And I LOVE the new plants. Good luck on your lilac removal!! Any plans on what will replace it? I've been tempted to plant large cordylines again ... but I know that would only end in heartbreak!

      Delete