Tuesday 5 June 2012

Junuary 2012

It's official, the beginning of June has marked by the return of Junuary.  This Junuary could possibly be the coldest yet - thus far.  With highs of 54F and 57F the last couple of days I have been asking myself how it is even possible to sustain life this far north of the equator.  What's worse, the once sarcastic reference to Junuary has become common place language.  I find this greatly disturbing on so many levels.  You see, I am a summer person of heart.  But recently I find myself opening the jars to the cinnamon scented comfort candles, adding extra blankets at night, and drinking gallons of hot tea.  But I have a dream.  A dream with days soaring into the 90's, a dream with a jug of sweet tea, hammocks, ice cream, and the smell of BBQ.

I wonder when the funk of Junuary will ever leave.  I've considered a ceremonial sun dance - if only it would work.  I have to admit, it has slowed down the garden fervour.  Thankfully, the garden seems to take it in stride.  The Dicksonia Antarctica (Tasmanian Tree Fern) seems to love this weather.

Little Sheffy seems happy in his new home.  I'm not sure what conditions these plants do their best under but I'm sure all this rain is helping it settle into place quite nicely.  (Can you tell I'm really trying to convince myself to be alright with Junuary ... but I'm so not)

What I'm holding out for is agave growing weather - the real test of summer!

4 comments:

  1. You know I'm right there with you. All the rain here has taken down Echium tower #2, so now just one remains standing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's tragic! Is the upright one the one in the new planting area? Because that thing is a monster! I love it. I'm hoping things warm up, otherwise I will have to fly south. We're not supposed to have to do that in late spring. I actually heard that yesterday Seattle was the coldest major city on earth besides somewhere in Siberia. Sooo not cool.

      Delete
  2. Your pattern seems like NW Europe's right now...I wonder if they are related, even though your's is the N Pacific and theirs the N Atlantic? Similar processes on west coasts at same latitudes globally...

    A few years ago, our first 90F day was not until late June...35N, a desert valley. Really, really late...so I feel your pain in a way, not that 70's and 80's are terrible. Wishing you many 80's F and sunshine...it has to break?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure about how it all works but I'm sure there is a correlation somewhere. I do notice that often when the south east gets extreme heat we are often cool and similarly in the winter when we have warm periods they get some really hard freezes. It will warm eventually, I just pray it comes soon!

      Delete