Tuesday 19 June 2012

at what point do you realize you have a problem?

I was thinking about this as I looked outside admiring my purple cordylines.  At what point do you realize you have a problem?  How many cordylines do I actually have?!  My initial response - to myself that is - was one of a qualifier. "Yeah but you see..." and thats when I knew, I have a cordyline problem.  But really, whats not to love?!

It's like they sing when planted in and amongst the greens and blues of the yard.  Maybe my real problem is for Kiwi plants in general.  Tree ferns, cordylines, flax - oh I love flax - and hebes are all favourites.  I wouldn't go as far as to say that my yard is predominantly Kiwi, but my plant family tree is definitely part Kiwi.

So how many cordylines do I actually have? Twelve... I think.  There used to be at least another half dozen purple cordylines but winter took care of those.  Maybe it's time for green?  Or how about a nice cordyline torbay dazzler?

10 comments:

  1. Problem, what problem? If you haven't spent your last cent on plants and if you still have space in your garden you have no problem...yet:)

    I've really been enjoying your blog since I found it a couple of days ago! Thanks for sharing your wonderful garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking. The cents are definitely dwindling but there's always room for one more, right?! I'm glad you've been enjoying my antics... I mean blog.

      Delete
  2. Ya I'm with Peter, what exactly is the problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I've been saying to my friends and family for quite som time! I like the way you guys think. I will take this as enablement to celebrate the summer solstice with new plants. I mean, we have to celebrate some how!!! It's only one of the most important days on my calendar. How are you celebrating the solstice?

      Delete
    2. A good friend came over for dinner and drinks on the patio. Sunny and warm late into the evening...perfect! You?

      Delete
    3. I was a tea granny in another life... so I mixed my two passions great tea and the great outdoors. Had everyone out around the firepit with a nice cup of strawberries and cream black tea! Its such a good summertime tea. Oh and of course nursery visits and a long walk around the lake thats just a few mins from here. It was glorious!!! But a luau celebration is in the works. I'm even considering ordering my pineapples from Hawaii!!!

      Delete
  3. I know I have a problem when the vegetation is one on top of the other, destroying the composition. When that happens, is time for editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. very true. But that can be part of the fun too. The garden evolves over the years and so do we with it. I love that about gardening!

      Delete
  4. What is this 'summer' you speak of? I have not seen such a thing on the west coastal area of Vancouver Island. Not too thrilled with the rain today but sure am happy that the gardens are getting watered. Now, where to put that purple flowered Hebe that I found at Canadian Tire for $1.99 today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a few nice days, but being inland we get a fair bit warmer during the summer time - when and if the sun does decide to shine. I think the worst part of this year has not necessarily been the rain itself but the amount of grey skies. It just is not able to warm up enough without the sun poking through. I can handle rain as long as we get sunshine. But our cycle seems to be rain cloud cloud cloud -partly couldy-THUNDER and then rain rain rain its hard.

      I love the purple hebes. They are really beautiful.

      Delete