Friday 8 June 2012

To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

Do you ever recite Hamlet in the face of plant lusts?  I'm sure the nursery people get a kick out of this.  Me down on one knee, taking cell phone photos, reciting my version of Hamlet to this beautiful Yucca Rigida.

"To buy or not to buy, that is the question:
Whether it is nobler of the mind to preserver
through the temptations of plant lust,
or  to succumb to your urges
And by succumbing own it?" 


I thought that this little rostrata could be a good consolation prize...

 But that little yucca trunk! Is it worth putting a halt to the weekend plans of driving to Phoenix Perennials and buying some wonderful treasures? Or shall I consider it happy birthday to me (I've already done that a few times)?

Or do I hold out for the hopes that they can order me a large Yucca Rostrata? After all, that is in the works too.

9 comments:

  1. What did you do? Even the little one is still quite handsome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish to say I bought but it was a little rich for me. Both are beautiful plants but I'm holding out for a larger rostrata I think... for now that is. Do you grow any rigida? I have heard a few mixed reports about these but I still think it's worth a go. I shall see where my nursery adventures take me this weekend. It's supposed to be dry and warmer than the last two weeks so that could be dangerous.

      Delete
    2. The only Y. rigida I've bought didn't make it through it's first winter. Since a couple of Y. rostrata's near by had no problem I figured that was all I needed to know and I've stuck with the rostrata ever since.

      Delete
    3. Good to know. From what I understand they are nearly as hardy but I have heard of another one not surviving where rostrata did. It might be that large ones are substantially hardier, but I was already thinking of holding out for rostrata anyways. They are certainly beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Do it!!! (and it's cheaper than the one I'm getting ready to sink some $$$ into buying)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I soo want to! I have been strongly considering... if it's still there that is. The price tag is a bit rich though so I don't think anyone will have picked it up quite yet. I have been wanting to tackle the ivy jungle that threatens to take over the entire yard. There is a spot that is southern exposure, full sun, raised bed on a slope with protection to the north, east and west from trees. It is about as good a spot as any in the PNW for growing this kind of yucca.

      I am excited to see your yucca! Make sure to post some picks.

      Delete
  3. Succumb! Resistence is futile. Besides, Christmas is coming. And life is so short - who will spoil you if you don't? The joy that the rostrata will bring you for years to come is priceless! (So is having to live in your car with your plants because you spent your mortgage payment on the latest green lust of your life, but I digress.) Anyway, YEILD to temptation!
    My name is Beelzebub but my friends (who mostly lost their homes but are happily living in a 4' x 4' space in the middle of their greenhouses which they somehow kept) just call me Bub. Buy on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE IT! I did buy. Not the massive one, but the yucca rostrata and a smaller yucca rigida!!!!

      Delete
    2. It must be lonely. You should go back and get the larger one as well and perhaps a third. You know plants always look best in odd numbers. Just trying to help.
      Bub

      Delete