Monday 4 June 2012

Tragedy in the garden...

I have to report a tragedy.  Sometime between Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon a group of bandit squirrels waged war on my beautiful little aloe aristata.  The side story being, last spring I bought this aloe,  planted it in a protected little hollow and watched it sail through the winter and produce a bloom! My first ever outdoor aloe in bloom! I was ecstatic.  But then tragedy struck...


That bloom stalk was just about ready to put on its show when it was brazenly snapped right off.  I think what makes tragedies like this worse is that I have long considered myself a friend of woodland creatures.  I have defended them as more than rats with bushy tails.  No more. This was personal.  I couldn't quite figure out what provoked such a nonsensical act.  Was it retaliation for disturbing a stash of nuts? I did uproot several starts of nut trees this year.  Or was it entirely random?

On a happier note, I planted an entire aloe patch -Take that squirrels!

4 comments:

  1. Dang - that had to hurt! I'd be pretty steamed, too. But I'm sure it was random. I'm also a friend of woodland creatures, but my local upholstered rats clearly don't reciprocate: they run ripshod through my garden and always seem to dig exactly where they shouldn't.

    That Aloe aristata is gorgeous, even sans bloom: it reminds me of Haworthias with that similar white patterning on their arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed tragic. I'm sure I will find it in my heart to forgive these fury friends. If only we could train them to avoid certain areas of the yard!

      Aloe aristata is a gem! They look just like Haworthias and are often confused as such. I just have to remember to remove one of the pups this year as a just in case measure.

      Delete
  2. I'm tempted to share a little phrase that some friends and I created for situations exactly like this. But you see it's not a PG phrase, in fact it might even be worse than an R...so I won't actually type it out...I want to remain family friendly. Just know my sympathies are with you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's appreciated. I think the build up of watching the bloom develop and just as it was about to reach the pinnacle of its glory ... snap! Imagining standing outside yelling R expressions at a squirrel brings me quite the level joy. I wonder what the neighbours would think? Then again, I don't think they'd be entirely all that surprised.

      Delete