Thursday 28 June 2012

summer nights

Summer nights, there's not really anything quite like it. I love that feeling that comes when you just kick back on summer nights.  I can't help but think of how the entire year builds to these moments.  The moments when the works day is done, the sun is setting and all you have left to do is enjoy.  Take a deep breath and savour the feeling of summer.  I really most sincerely wish everyday was summer. But alas, we must must celebrate the season as best we can while it is here.  I was out in the garden this evening, candles lit, tea in hand and snapped a couple of photos.

I found a home for my new agave parryi truncata just to the right of the yucca gloriosa recurvifolia 'bright star.'  Recently I decided I need more 'bright star' yuccas in my life.  Seeing them in the sunshine really changes everything.  It just glows - even at night in the candle light.


I feel like this speaks so much of the garden itself.  Yucca, agave, palm, and succulent loving is a huge "theme" if you will in the garden.  This picture pretty much sums it all up for me.  Shortly thereafter a group of raccoons decided to throw cherries down at me from the trees above and I felt anything but love.  But for a moment it was rather blissful.  So in the miss quoted words of Paula Dean, "I wish you love and great plantings from my garden to yerrrrs."

4 comments:

  1. I wish I could have stayed home last night and soaked it all up just like you did...it was truly a beautiful evening. Of course going out to talk plants with my plant lust cohorts and drink good wine was hardly a sacrifice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love summer nights!!!!! Sounds like you had a great night too - outside I hope? If ever I go out during the summer, I pick my restaurants by the quality of the patio. For example I will drive to North Vancouver most any day for one restaurant that created a mediterranean inspired patio with big outdoor fireplaces and a planting scheme of mainly trachycarpus and phormiums. It's epic! But I recently found a french restaurant who's patio overlooks the beach is West Vancouver - a new fav. Good food/drink and good company is always a winning combination. Especially when the subject is plant lust!

      Delete
  2. The first pic is so evocative...I could spend hours just sipping wine or beer, noshing on salmon, and hanging out looking at that. I like the way the candles all work with the cool plants!

    It was 92F at 9 pm last night here...getting old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It definitely is a relaxing place to hang out. I just love lounging around in the evening out there!!! As for your heat, that's crazy. I thought it was a balmy evening here being around 70 F at 1030 pm. Hopefully you guys get some relief. If not, there's plenty of cool evenings and salmon to be eaten up here!

      Delete